It has been consensus notion that a consistently following a well-balanced diet and active lifestyle leads to a healthy life. Nonetheless, despite following both health measures, in modern times, vitamin and mineral deficiencies can occur due to various factors.
For that reason, nutritional supplementation is essential to maintain optimal health.
Here are 10 issues that nutritional supplements can address in order to help you live a healthy lifestyle:
10 Things You Should Know About Nutritional Supplements
1. Grown foods are deficient in minerals
Tactics in commercial agriculture leave soil deficient in vital minerals. This leads to food being grown in deficient soil; thus, getting fewer minerals in the process.
2. Overstored foods loses vitamin richness
A lot of foods shipped long distances are stored for a lengthy time. This depletes the vitamins (especially the important B-complex and C vitamins) in these foods.
3. Modern food preparation tactics depletes nutrients
Food handling, cooking, and preserving leads to nutrient depletion in our food supply. This makes it challenging to receive proper nutrition from foods alone.
4. Fruits and vegetables are being genetically produced
A lot of fruits and vegetables are being genetically produced to enhance their appearance. This leads to a significant drop in their nutritional value.
5. Poor digestive habits
Irregular eating habits such as not thoroughly chewing food and hasty eating lead to a poor digestion. When this occurs, it is hard for our bodies to extract all the nutrients it requires from food.
6. Prescription drugs depletes essential nutrients
Due to various ailments, many people end up having to take prescription drugs. While this may alleviate one problem, it presents another. Most medications deplete your bodies of essential nutrients; thus making you more susceptible to vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
7. Certain situations occur when you need more a certain nutrient
Certain situations in your life happen when your body needs a higher dose of certain nutrients. For instance, women who are pregnant need more folic acid than usual.
8. Environmental pollution leads to nutritional deficiency
Environmental pollution is one of the reasons people are deficient in nutrition. Increasing amounts of environmental pollution in our air, food, and water may cause our bodies to use more nutrients than normal to cleanse and remove harmful substances.
9. Genetic weaknesses or lifestyle
We are all different specimens; thus, our nutritional needs will differ. So you probably have genetic limitations that require an additional amount of certain nutrients. Becoming vitamin or mineral deficient (due to genetic limitations) is one of the main reasons some people develop certain illnesses. As far as lifestyle, depending on how active you are will determine your nutrition requirements. For instance, an athlete would likely require more protein than a sedentary person.
10. Nutrient supplementation can prevent chronic illnesses
Several nutrients have been proven to prevent or support in the treatment of health issues like high blood pressure, heart disease, birth defects, and cancer.
So now that you are aware of the importance of nutritional supplements, here are 4 vitamins and minerals that you may require.
Calcium is one the most important minerals for the human body. It is well-noted that the calcium in the milk helps build strong, healthy bones & teeth. In addition, every cell in your body utilizes calcium to some capacity.
The following 4 areas in our bodies need calcium on a daily basis to properly function:
1. Nervous system
Calcium guides the electrical signals within the nervous system; also aids in sustaining brain health and understanding the aging process.
Calcium ions are required in order for the heart muscle to contract.
The most well-known attribute of calcium is that it helps build & maintain strong, healthy
bones & teeth.
Calcium sends electric signals to your muscle fibers to contract when performing an exercise or any physically demanding activity.
Potassium upholds many responsibilities in your body. Here are several of them:
- Maintains your blood pressure and proper heart function
- Aids your muscles contract
- Helps in the process of waste removal
- Supports cognitive function by delivering oxygen to the brain
- Releases energy from nutrients
- Aids nervous system by supporting the accurate function of tissues needed for transferring nerve impulses
- Boosts muscle controls; thus, ensuring the development and health of your cells
- Preserves the electrolyte balance in your body’s cells
- stabilizes blood sugar
- stabilizes heart rate
- boost the immune system
- promotes the formation of bones and teeth
- nerve and muscle function
Vitamin C may be the most well-known vitamin. From fruits to various fruit juices, Vitamin C is the main vitamin in a number of food and beverage products.
Here is the list of Vitamin C benefits it does for your body:
- Produces collagen
- Helps produce serotonin
- Protects against immune system deficiencies
- Prevents cardiovascular disease
- Prevents prenatal health issues
- Prevents vision problems
- Helps keep skin smooth
Those 4 and many more nutrients are required for the human body to function properly. By taking a nutritional supplement, you ensure that your body does not become mineral and vitamin deficient.