A recipe that’ll get you to eat your vegetables for once!
Crispy Baked Veggie Pockets
1 sweet potato, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
2 fingerling potatoes, sliced
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 shallot, chopped
Sea salt and white pepper, to taste
½ cup chopped bok choy
1 orange, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cup green peas
2 Tbsp. chopped water chestnuts (optional)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. chopped ginger
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. cumin
1 roll frozen phyllo dough, thawed
Melted organic butter, for brushing the veggie pockets
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the sweet and fingerling potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and season with salt. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the bok choy to the sauté pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the orange pieces and cook for 1 minute.
- Let the mixture cool a bit, then place in the food processor, along with the fingerling potatoes and all but a few slices of the sweet potatoes, and process until combined well and a bit fluffy. Remove to a bowl.
- Chop the remaining sweet potato slices into a small dice and add to the bowl, along with the peas and water chestnuts. Add the lemon juice, ginger, and spices and stir to combine. (You can make the filling up to 1 day in advance and store it covered tightly in the refrigerator.)
- Unroll the phyllo dough and peel off the top three layers. Cover the remaining dough with a damp towel.
- Keep the three layers stacked and cut into three long rectangles. Place 2 tablespoons of the filling at the top of each of the three long rectangles. Take the top corner down over the filling, forming a triangle, then continue to fold in this way, back and forth, wrapping the filling and forming a triangular finished piece.
- Repeat until all the dough and filling have been used.
- Place the veggie pockets on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake for 20 25 minutes.
- Enjoy with any of your favorite sauces!
Makes 10 to 12 veggie pockets, or about 3 servings
Each serving contains approximately 380 calories, 10 grams fat, 6 grams fiber, 7 grams protein, and 57 grams carbohydrates.