Meal prep doesn’t have to consume an entire day to justify your #MealPrepMonday or borrow from your fun money to hire a meal prep service. Meal prep can be as simple as making extra portions, taking home restaurant leftovers, or buying food in bulk quantities. Here at MO Supplements, we know you have a busy life, so we created a simple to understand and easy to follow meal prep guide.
Our motto is: Make meal prep easy! Therefore, we are providing you with the three most efficient meal prep methods and a step-by-step guide on how to follow through with each one. In addition, we are giving you exclusive insight into recipes, restaurants, and grocery shopping tips to start your meal prep week off with extra motivation. Here’s our exclusive MO Supplement’s Guide to meal prep…
Meal Prep Methods:
- Make extra portions: Whenever you cook a meal, double or triple the recipe for meal prep. Since your already cooking, why not make more?
- Restaurant leftovers: Dining out? Order a size larger and take home the leftovers for lunch or dinner the following days.
- Buy in bulk: When grocery shopping, buy foods in bulk to account for meal prep. Shop at bulk grocery stores or buy more produce at your normal store.
Option 1: Make extra portions
DIY At Home Meal Prep:
On your least busy night of the week, prepare extra food to eat throughout the week. Choose at least one protein, one carbohydrate, and one vegetable to prepare in large quantities to use all week long. Utilize large cooking tools, such as an oversized skillet, pot, or crock pot to make clean up even easier.
Choose one protein:
- Extra lean proteins: Turkey or chicken breast, white fish, egg-whites, beans
- Lean proteins: Dark turkey or chicken meat, salmon, lean cuts of beef, ham
- Medium fat proteins: Ground beef, pork chop, whole egg, tofu
Choose one carbohydrate:
- Complex Carbohydrates: Brown rice, quinoa, whole-wheat pasta, sweet potato, white potato, lentils, beans, corn
- Simple Carbohydrates: White rice, pasta, white bread
Choose one vegetable:
- Non-starchy: Spinach, lettuce, broccoli, green beans, asparagus, peppers, mushrooms
Meal Prep Recipe:
- Cook or select pre-cooked protein, carbohydrate, and vegetables.
- Combine all cooked ingredients into large bowl.
- Portion out into containers for the week. Be mindful of appropriate portion sizes. Use scale if desired.
Meal Prep Recipe Examples:
- Rice Bowl: Ground Turkey + Broccoli + Brown Rice
- Stir Fry: Shrimp + Peppers + Noodles
- Wrap: Turkey + Lettuce + Tortilla
- Salad: Tuna + Spinach + Beans
- Sandwich: Whole-Wheat Bread + Ham + Cucumbers
- Dinner Leftovers: Chicken + Mushrooms + Pasta
Option 2: Restaurant Leftovers
Best meal prep restaurant orders:
Choose your favorite entrée in the larger size or order extra portions to make an extra meal or two for meal prep. Here are some of our favorite orders for meal prep:
- Chipotle: Burrito bowl- save ½ for the next day
- Subway: Foot long sandwich- divide into 2-3 portions
- Cheesecake Factory: Any salad (dressing on side)- save leftovers
- Other restaurants: Order extra dish or divide entrée into two-three portions for following days
Option 3: Buy in bulk
Head to your nearest grocery store to buy more for less!
Grocery stores that provide food in bulk quantities are great for meal prep, such as Costco or Sam’s Club. However, if you don’t have a membership you can just buy extra portions of items at your normal grocery store (especially if items are on sale!). Here are some of our favorite grocery store items to purchase:
- Whole chicken or large pack of chicken tenderloins
- Large crate of fruit, such as bananas or apples
- Pre-cut bags of lettuce or spinach
- Microwaveable or large bags of rice
- Large containers or portioned out packs of oatmeal
- Large containers or individual Greek yogurts
- Frozen berries for smoothie
- Frozen vegetables for easy prep
Meal prep doesn’t have to be tedious with your time or money because here at MO Supplements we make meal prep easy! By following our MO Supplements guide to meal prep, you will discover the efficiency of meal prep and make the most of ALL your food and time.
This week prove to yourself that you can be the meal prep king or queen! Utilize this guide and find which meal prep options work best for you. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail- so plan for a healthy week ahead to reach your health and fitness goals!